1. What do like the about Granby?
2. What experience qualifies you to be Mayor?
3. What do you think is the most serious issue facing Granby in the next four years?
4. What solutions do you propose for the immediate problems facing Granby?
Name: Edward Magee
Running for trustee or mayor: Mayor
Occupation: Industrial Electrician, Henderson Mill; Small Business Owner
Education: Associate Degree
How many years in Grand County? 13
Original hometown: Boston
Family: Married for 17 years to Laura Magee, 5 children
Pets: 3 dogs
1. I love Granby. I think Granby is an ideal place to live and to raise a family. I love the lifestyle that living in Granby affords the people lucky enough to be here. From the varied outdoor activities nearby, to the programs at the Recreation Department, Granby really does have it all. We are a rural town, the service center of the county, and that's part of what makes Granby special.
2. Running a business in Granby for over 13 years, growing it from one to 13 employees, then down to 3 part-time employees gave me a clear view of the economic difficulties that have beset almost everyone who lives in town. Having managed millions in payroll, I understand the necessity of responding to changing economic conditions in order to maintain a sensible budget. I believe that Granby needs an advocate for a more prudent response to the current economy.
3. Granby has to adjust to the tenuous state of the economy as the No. 1 responsibility to the people who live here. Granby is going to have to operate at a new normal for the next several years. Granby's revenues have suffered due to lower property tax receipts. Sales tax receipts are down for January and February, 2012. Granby will be facing more difficult decisions and can not continue to rely on budgeted reserves.
4. I propose that local government should not become involved, financially, with the budget issues of the school district. I propose that it is not the proper function of government to fund the prize pool of a ski area's bike race, or make real estate loans exclusively to town employees, with our tax dollars. I propose a more reasoned approach to government, with attention to serving the interests of the people of Granby.
Name: Jynnifer Pierro
Running for trustee or mayor: Mayor
Occupation: Partner, Legacy Building Specialties, Inc. and Rocky Mountain Re-Source
Education: High School: MPHS, College: Colorado Institute of Art
How many years in Grand County? 33
Original hometown: Dallas, Texas
Family: Best Family EVER. I have been married to my husband Tom for 20 years this June. We have 2 fantastic children, Kate who is 15, a freshman at MPHS and Nick who is 12, a 6th grader at EGMS. My parents Dan and Judy Canup, sister, Amy Calhoun and brother Daniel Canup.
Pets: Dusty our German Shepherd and the goldfish in our pond.
1. We have so many amenities available to us. No need to drive out of town for a great meal. Our restaurant selection just keeps growing. Hiking, biking, skiing, golfing, fishing, boating are all right outside our back door. Granby has a little bit of everything. Our people are what make Granby a great community.
2. I have served as Mayor for the last four years. I have really enjoyed serving the community and have learned so much. As a board we have accomplished quite a bit together. We have built cooperative relations between the town and the county, neighboring towns, businesses and community members. We continue to place great importance on improving downtown, paving streets, replacing sidewalks, improving parks and recreation programs.
3. With the uncertainty of our economy, I believe that the most serious issue will be keeping businesses and families in Granby. We need to support the businesses that are already here while we find ways to bring new businesses and jobs to Granby.
4. I would like to continue to support the Granby Enterprise Initiative. The Enterprise Initiative is free service offered to any existing business that would like to expand-improve their business or an entrepreneur that would like to open a business in Granby.