Basalt carbon monoxide poisoning was accidental
Ryan Summerlin December 28, 2009
BASALT, Colo. (AP) – The carbon monoxide poisoning of a couple in Basalt was accidental, the result of what could be the “biggest mistake of the year” according to the woman’s son.
On Thursday 68-year-old Fran Blum and her 75-year-old husband Jon were found unconscious by another couple and have since recovered. Police were puzzled because a vehicle had been left running in the attached garage and a carbon monoxide detector had been removed and disabled.
Fran Blum’s son Ed Freedman says Jon Blum left their Range Rover running in the garage after returning from dinner the night before. When the detector went off around midnight, he says they believed it was a malfunctioning smoke detector and removed the battery and took it off the wall. Freedman says it’s a wake up call to educate people about carbon monoxide detectors.
Information from: The Aspen Times, http://www.aspentimes.com/