Fire destroys cabin at Devil’s Thumb Ranch
Ryan Summerlin April 15, 2014
TABERNASH — Firefighters responded to a blaze at a Devil’s Thumb Ranch tourist cabin the evening of Sunday, April 13.
No injuries were reported from the fire, and damage was limited to a single structure.
“It had all caved in, parts were just big piles of logs, and the chimney had fallen in,” said East Grand Fire Protection District Chief Todd Holzwarth. “(The fire) burned into the crawl space, and the cabin dropped and pancaked together.”
Called the “Taylor Cabin,” the structure was located with a cluster of 16 other cabins that serve as accommodations for visitors to Devil’s Thumb. Witnesses reported the fire began on the cabin’s deck, and it quickly spread to the rest of the structure. Guests had stayed at the Taylor Cabin the night before, checking out around noon on Sunday. Housekeeping staff had visited the cabin an hour before the blaze began, but did not notice anything unusual.
Firefighters returned to the cabin again on Monday morning after the fire reignited and witnesses reported more smoke and flames coming out of the roof. Given the extent of the fire and damage to the structure, Holzwarth said he knew it was unlikely firefighters would be able to get the fire completely out on Sunday.
According to Holzwarth, public safety officials responded to the reported fire at 4:38 p.m. with two engines, a water tender and 12 firefighters from East Grand and an engine, two water tenders and at least eight firefighters from Grand Fire Protection District (Granby Fire).