Volunteers to rehabilitate historic 4 Bar 4 Ranch
Ryan Summerlin June 13, 2014
FRASER – This month, the 4 Bar 4 Ranch, one of Grand County’s most fascinating historic places, will receive some much needed TLC from local volunteers.
To keep the structure from collapsing, dedicated HistoriCorps volunteers of all skill levels will rehabilitate the Hay Barn at 4 Bar 4 Ranch by reestablishing the foundation, replacing deteriorated sill logs, reroofing the building, and installing daubing on the exterior of the logs.
The 4 Bar 4 Ranch, a 320 acre homestead established by Dick McQueary in 1895, was a renowned stage stop and hotel on the old Berthoud Pass Road, an integral part of the Trans-Continental “Midland Trail” highway. The railroad came through in 1905 and put an end to the stage line, but the ranch continued to host travelers until 1912 or 1913 when it was purchased and converted into a Ford dealership, selling Ford vehicles until 1917. Located on the 4 Bar 4 Ranch, the Hay Barn (also known as Pond Barn) is a rare style of hay barn, constructed of trees from the ranch property. The property has been vacant for more than 20 years.
Volunteers can sign up for Session 1 (June 18-22), Session 2 (June 25-29), or both. The only requirement is a willingness to learn, and a can-do attitude. The project is sponsored by the Stagecoach Meadows HOA and is managed by two HistoriCorps instructors who love to teach, are passionate about preservation, and have a knack for making work fun. Meals and all necessary tools and equipment are provided. Volunteers camp on site right next to the building.
Read more and sign up to volunteer on HistoriCorps’ website: historicorps.org/haybarn/. For more information, contact Amy Eller at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-893-4260 ext 225.
HistoriCorps is a 501(c)3 organization which saves and sustains historic places for public benefit through partnerships that foster public involvement, engage volunteers and provide training and education. Since 2009, HistoriCorps has worked in 14 states to preserve over 135 historic buildings and structures, all of which have been made possible by our dedicated and passionate volunteers contributing over 41,000 hours.